Teeth Whitening: What to Expect
Teeth whitening procedures are increasing in popularity because of the positive results and beautiful smiles that are produced. It is always advisable to go for professional teeth whitening as it is performed under the supervision of an expert. For professional teeth whitening in Idaho Falls, be sure to visit Premier Dental Care!
The Teeth Whitening Procedure
In-office teeth whitening comprises of the following steps:
- First, your teeth must be clean and free of any deposits that may dampen the effect of whitening treatment. After the removal of hard deposits (calculus) and soft deposits (plaque and debris), the teeth are polished.
- Once the teeth are cleaned, Dr. Anderson proceeds to the next step: isolation. Your teeth should be kept as dry as possible so they remain decontaminated by saliva or other parts of the mouth throughout the procedure. To achieve isolation, gauze, cotton rolls, or other barriers are placed all around the teeth. In some cases, retractors are used to keep the cheeks away from the teeth. Gums are also covered to safeguard them from the whitening material.
- The whitening solution is applied onto the front surfaces of the teeth, sometimes with the help of custom-made trays. Generally, the whitening solution incorporates hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide, which carries out the bleaching action. For the activation of peroxide molecules, most whitening solutions are subjected to laser or curing light for a stipulated time period. In some cases, reapplication is done increment by increment.
- Once the required time of application is over, the whole whitening solution is washed off with water.
- You will be given a set of instructions you need to follow after a teeth whitening procedure, such as avoiding intake of highly pigmented food or beverage (like tea or tobacco) for the next 24 hours. This is to ensure the teeth do not get re-stained.